To Copyright or not to Copyright

Saturday, July 18, 2009 |


Here's the deal. At my photo gallery found at yoeltphotography.smugmug.com
I keep most of my albums with a copyright block. That means that you cant drag and drop on to your desktop, or right click and save a picture that you want.
I don't see why I should give free reign for anyone to come and take whatever they want. Or worse, taking on of my pics and claiming ownership over the work.
But at the same time there are a bunch of sites out there that allow you to take the pictures freely.
Of course if there are any albums of a photo shoot with models, it would have a copyright.
I've been wrestling with this idea ever since I opened the site.
What do you think?
Copyright or no Copyright, and why?

5 comments:

Josue said...

Keep the copyright, I have had work stolen and.... it doesnt feel all that good.

But it would be awesome to allow requests, like "Can I use this picture on my website?" or "As a desktop background?"

Just ask for recognition

Stacie said...

I'm a believer in open-source, unless you want to make a living of it. When the Internet came public people came on it to share information and data. I think it just depends on why you want to post them. If it's something you want to make money off of then by all means copyright it. Artists need to make a living too. But if you are doing it for the sake of art, then keep it free and open cuz who cares who uses it in that case

Josue said...

Stacie I can debate that,
Keeping it open is one thing, Putting a water mark is another.

The whole thing is making sure that people know its yours

Anonymous said...

art seeks no recognition :)

Yoel said...

WOW! thanks for sharing your views on this subject guys. Its really is something I keep going back and forth with.
Josue: I know what you mean bro, and that's my fear. Finding some punk out there using my pics and claiming ownership on the work. I do have my email available in case they would like to order full res prints. And water marks are corny!

Stacie: My whole thing is that I see a bunch of professional photographers that post there work and leave it open for people to grab if they wish. Some usually have a copy right warning some where on the site. I have some stuff that isn't copyright blocked on the album. But most of it is blocked. I would like to make money from it, that has yet to happen.

I'm still wrestling with it, as for not it will remain the same.

Anonymous: Its no fun to have a no ghost commenting on something you want feed back from real people. Next time, let us know your name, and no initials don't count. Regardless of not knowing who I'm writing to, I would like to hear more of your side on that view: "art seeks no recognition".... :)

Thanks again guys and gals!