Broken Lens

Sunday, August 9, 2009 |


I broke my 2.8f lens. My one and only good lens.
It happened during the Leadership Summit 2009, which by the way was SICK, incredible, and refreshing. Sitting next to me on the counter top of the lighting board was my camera. We went to a lunch break, I grabbed my camera all excited to head downstairs and get some people shots. Little did I know that my strap had become tangled in something. As I walk away with my camera in my right hand I fell a tug and loose grip. It happened so fast I didn't even see it. The camera went flying, bouncing on a chair, then crashing to the ground. It landed lens first. Thank God for UV filters, it took the impact and dented on one side, smashing the UV glass. None of the glass inside the lens actually cracked. But the iris ring came apart completely, those are the small metal pieces inside the lens. The zoom and focus are jammed, i believe because of the out of place iris.

I didn't want to think about it all day long. Compared to other lenses, my lens is a cheap lens. But I treated it like gold. It killed me to see how fast something that I loved and treasured, that I had invested money in to, just be destroyed in seconds.

Some hope has been restored when I learned that there's a local, trustworthy, repair shop in town. I'll see what they say. If its too much to repair then I'll have to consider options on purchasing a new lens.

1 comments:

Heather Palacios said...

Man, I hate that 4 u. Hope ur local vendor has a good, cheap replacement 4 ur deceased lense. Cuz we need ur eyeball behnind it capturing all the cool pix for this wknd!